Thursday, July 21, 2011

Attempting to Do the Impossible: Country Style Steak with Gravy...

Tonight is the night.  I'm going to put on my serious cooking apron and I'm going to make possibly one of the most iconic Southern meals there is.  I'm going to try to make Country Style Steak with Gravy.

What's the big deal?  I'll tell you...Everyone around these parts grows up eating this very dish.  And everyone grows up thinking that their grandma's or their mama's Country Style Steak is the best.  For this very reason I have perfected such recipes as "Blackened Chicken with Penne Pasta and Alfredo Sauce" because neither of my Grandmothers ever made anything remotely like homemade Alfredo sauce.  I don't like to compete if I know I can't win.

But the other night the Husband and I were sitting down to eat in our brand new kitchen when I asked him what he would like for supper.  I could tell he wasn't too excited about eating my take on a chicken fajita.  He told me wanted "normal" food... fried pork chops, country style steak, mashed potatoes.  Food that I simply don't cook.

So last week while at the grocery store I purchased all the things he mentioned.  Exactly a week ago I made bone-in, extra thick fried pork chops with mashed potatoes.  I even made his favorite cupcakes for good measure.  It was one of the best meals I've ever made for him and Husband was pleased.

With my confidence boosted I have decided to try my hand at the dreaded Country Style Steak with Gravy.  I'm worried about the gravy part.  Gravy is a hard thing to master and since I've never made it before... we wll see.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment