Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jammed-packed with Summery Goodness...

When I was younger-- like elementary school younger-- I used to hate the start of the school year and I swore that when I was older-- like I am now-- that I'd never work in a school for that very reason. But as my father used to tell me, "don't say what you won't do," I somehow ended up working in a school. I'm a school counselor, which is a pretty awesome job, in my opinion, and even though it can be very stressful and often very sad, I find it rewarding.

The thing I don't like about the job, however, is the start back to school (imagine that). Every year I find myself just days away from the start of the school year, as I am now, and a little panicked because I want to make sure I jam-pack those last few days with as much summery goodness that I can.

On Monday I spent the day with my mom, my granny, and my sister. The whole day was pretty nice and resulted in an impromptu trip to Target for a blender (my sister is drinking these Herbal milkshakes in an attempt to lose some weight she put on). Yesterday (Tuesday) I was planning on getting a beautiful back-to-the-grind hairstyle and highlights, but Hubby got the Stones (refer to previous post) and that was shot to hell. Although, after the ER and all that goodness, we did get to have a nice lunch at BoJangles (I'd marry those chicken biscuits if I wasn't married already). And I did manage to paint a new pot for my dying house plant so it could have a new home, that maybe he'd like better.
At the start of my summer vacation I had vowed to do a lot of jobs around the house as well as work on some projects that I'd put to the wayside (like re-potting my sickly houseplant). I had good intentions but I've always heard that the road to somewhere very hot was paved with them... so somehow all those jobs I vowed I'd do, I'm doing today-- my next to last day of summery fun.
Today, after sleeping late for the next to the last time this summer, I typed up all the minutes from my United Daughters of the Confederacy (we are not a hate group) meetings from this past year. It was a bigger job than I thought (took almost all day) and something I should have done a long, long time ago. With that behind me I have now successfully re-potted the dying house plant (see above picture) and I'm hoping that he doesn't feel too sickly because I had to remove a whole bunch of root-bound roots. Today I also found the time to clean up all the stemware that I display on the above-the-sink-shelves, after all glass should be see-through, not cloudy from dust and atmospheric cooking grease.
For tomorrow I'm planning on visiting the grocery store, something I don't do nearly enough, and I have to run into work to have a last minute meeting with my Principal. If there is enough time after all that running around, I'm thinking of tackling the shower that I've not touched in 3 weeks. Later that evening my dear friend is coming over to discuss my granny's medication (she's a pharmacist) and her upcoming lingerie shower I'm throwing her in the Fall.
How's that for summery goodness? Okay, so it's not laying in the Sun or taking a road trip down I-40 to the beach... but it will have to do. I don't lay out anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment