Saturday, September 4, 2010

If You're Marring My Sister: Please Don't Read Any Further...

So I promised I'd finish writing about our Marathon Beach Vacation... but I think that ship has sailed.  Since coming home from the beach, work has started back, my brother-in-law is home from Basic Training, and my cousin's boyfriend who was diagnosed with cancer two years ago (a month before their wedding) is dying...so I don't feel like telling you about how my cousin drank a FourLoco while on vacation and thought that Aquafina bottled water was from the devil.

Seriously, though... it's been a very hectic couple of weeks.  And to make matters a little more hectic, my sister has been shopping for a wedding dress.  For the last few weeks, our weekends have been spent shopping for the elusive "perfect" dress.

People that have never been wedding dress shopping think it is going to be just fun piled up on top of fun.  In my experience it's really more stressful than fun.  First of all, the dresses are designed to be beautiful... so they all pretty much look nice on you.  Second of all, people make you think that you are to have some sort of emotional reaction when you like a dress, which only puts pressure on the bride-to-be because what if you're the one bride in the United States of America that never gets that teary-eyed feeling?  What does that say about you?

So wedding dress shopping, for my sister, turned out to be pretty much one headache after the other, until today.

Today we found the perfect dress...


It's a Spanish designer that I can't remember the name of.  The sash was my idea.  Once the dress comes in, we are going to have a slight sweetheart neckline added and make the back V.  We are thinking of having the sash remade with parts of our mom's wedding dress which I think, if it can be done, is an awesome idea.




We brought along my sister's best friend and college room-mate.  She was our emotional thermometer and cried anytime she liked a dress.  It was good to have her along because we are all dead inside and don't cry about wedding dresses.

For those of you in the Raleigh area-- the place we shopped at was Victorian Rose Bridal on Glenwood Avenue, downtown.  I got my dress their three years ago and anytime I know someone getting married I always refer them there.  The ladies their are great... the dresses are great... and you get top-notch assistance.

Hopefully, now that we have the perfect dress things will start falling into place!


2 comments: