Friday, October 5, 2012

I'd Tell You, But I Can't Remember...

Busy doesn't begin to describe it... and to top it all off, I can't remember anything.  Apparently "pregnancy brain" is a real phenomenon.  For instance, this week I decided to cook homemade chili.  So Wednesday night I put everything into the crock pot, browned hamburger meat and let it cool and then added it to the other ingredients. 

I put the pot insert into the refrigerator over night and Thursday morning I put the pot into the crock pot base, turned the dial to "low" and headed to work, not giving it another thought in the world.

I had my 34 week doctor's appointment Thursday afternoon.  I drove the new car.  Yes, after several weekends of nothing but car shopping, last Saturday we purchased a larger (see: 4 doors) car.  And while on the Beltline I noticed that the car was making a strange noisy, a noisy that miraculously disappeared (of course) once I got within a 10 mile radius of home.  So now I'm not so sure that I didn't imagine it...  as I drove it today and nothing, nada, zip as far as "the sound" goes.

Nevertheless, I walked into the house expecting to smell the wonderful sent of homemade chili, and instead I just smelled the house.  I thought that was odd.  I immediately walked over to the crock pot.  Had I forgotten to turn it on?  No.  The dial was turned to "low" just as I remembered.  Did I forget to put the pot into the base?  No.  The pot was firmly locked into the base. 

I had forgotten to plug it in...

This last appointment was an interesting one... 34 weeks pregnant and we've learned that the baby is breech.  This doesn't bother me.  But the doctor wanted to let me know that a C-section would be likely if the baby doesn't make a turn in the next couple of weeks. 

I didn't want to seem eager, but the idea of actually knowing when the baby was going to come, seemed attractive, even if the recovery is supposedly more difficult.  I told the doctor, just as I have told many others... as long as the baby can come out safely and we both live to tell about it, I'm fine with whatever.

After all, I'm just a school counselor.  Not a doctor.  To quote a favorite movie of mine, "I don't know nothing about birthing babies."

Oh, did I mention that we dropped out of birthing classes?  Yea... we did.  The third class got blown off for maternity pictures and the fourth class got ditched because Husband was barning tobacco and picking sweet potatoes and couldn't be ready to leave in time.  This last class, which I think was to be a like a "dry-run" of the birthing process (I realize that is probably not a great term to use to describe that particular class) got blown off for a bikini waxing appointment.  I forgot (imagine that) that I had booked the appointment for that particular afternoon and since Husband was still barning tobacco and picking sweet potatoes, I decided to keep the appointment and just pick up some food on the way home. 

We ate, I got a shower and I went to bed... at like 8:30pm.  I've never done that before.  I'm exhausted.

My best friend had a beautiful baby boy on her due date two weeks ago.  I'm pleased to report that she got through the labor and delivery with little to no problems.  It is reassuring that we too just might get through this...

This weekend is our first baby shower and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and spending some time with family and friends.

I think that about catches everyone up... I'm going to have to start remembering to document more because at this rate, I may forget! 









No comments:

Post a Comment