Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Up-to-Date...

I've been a little lost lately... lost in my own little world of work, house building, party planning, birthdays... the fertility doctor's office.  Just believe me when I say I've been too busy, too stressed out, and too uncomfortable to write anything about anything interesting that may or may not have been going on in my little life.

But I'm on Spring Break.  One of the many perks of working for the school system and now that I'm finally feeling rested, I can catch everyone up on whats been going on.

March 26th was my sister's engagement party/karaoke bash at our Uncle and Aunt's house.  My sister is in the middle, I'm in the blue one strap Tibi dress.  The other girls in the picture, going left to right:  our cousin Annah, our cousin Sarah, and our other cousin Audrey. 

Besides a few awkward moments with Sarah's soon-to-be ex-boyfriend... I think a good time was had by all.  I learned that my sister and her soon-to-be really love to sing... loudly, as does his brother and father.  Best of all about the party... my friend Olivia and her husband were able to attend the gathering, which was great because I never get to see her or him.




The end of March was a blur where the house was concerned.  Things really started hopping-- not that they haven't been hopping all along.  Soon after this party the siding and bricks went up... and the sheet rock... and then the flooring went in.









Not soon after the engagment party I was in Mosaic Tile picking out tile for the kitchen, back entry, laundry room, and baths agonizing over grout colors.  I never knew grout came in all those colors.  More and more I find myself overwhelmed with the decision making process.  I keep saying, much like I did when I was getting married, "if this was anybody else's house, I'd have no trouble picking out colors." 

Luckily my contractor has me working with the best in the business, so I feel like I'm getting expert advice when it comes to picking out things for the house.


The master bathroom tile

The master bathroom shower and tub

The kitchen, back-entry, laundry room, and powder room tile.

And the upstairs bathroom tile.

Yesterday I got my mom to ride with me to Apex to pick out granite.  Another hard decision, but again, my contractor has me in good hands.  This is what I've decided on...

Giallo Ornamental Premium Granite. 

The girl assures me that it is fabulous, true to the sample and has lots of movement.  I'm very excited about the granite.  In the last couple of weeks we've picked out applicances and decided on off-white and cherry stained cabinets for the kitchen.  I think this piece of Earth will look great with those colors.... hopefully.


The hardwood flooring is in the living room, dinning room and foyer.  We have to pick the stain color, but we get choices... so I'm feeling very relaxed about that decision. 

Today... in a half hour, I'm to meet with the contractor to talk closets.  Hopefully I can get what I want.  My contractor wasn't too excited about my decision to put some wallpaper in my foyer.


Generally, I hate wallpaper.  I remember being about 7 years old and my mother removing all the wallpaper in the whole house and cussing and fussing the entire time.  But I've decided that my dinning room will be metalic silver and my living room will be neutral.  Because metallic and neutral really don't live together in harmony, I found a wallpaper that will help make the transition and I'm really excited about it. 

My contractor on the other hand... is not.  He says that they never put wallpaper in a house under a million dollars and all his subs are outrageous in prices... but the Hubster assures me that he knows someone that can hang it-- practically free.  And so, I'm not loosing hope just yet.

I think that brings everyone up to speed where the house is concerned.  Hopefully I'll have more to write about soon.  And if you have paint color suggestions, I'm open to all comments.  I'm at a loss as to what to do... I'm going back to the paint store this afternoon to match colors to the wallpaper sample... so wish me luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment