Thursday, April 21, 2011

Refrigerator Wars...

The day before the Hubster's 29th birthday I had a diva moment.  Over the refrigerator.  Earlier in the evening we had rode over to the cabinet maker's shop to go over details of our cabinetry.  Our cabinet maker is pretty much an expert and very technical... so I have to pay a lot of attention to what he is saying to try to keep up with what he is suggesting.  A few years ago the Hubster decided that he wanted to learn how to make cabinets, so he spent a couple weeks learning how over at this shop.  My husband and the cabinet maker speak the same language... apparently.

So I'm listening to him explain how the mantle piece over the cook top will be however many inches wide and that because of the width that would mean that we wouldn't have enough space for the spice rack that we wanted and so on.  And then he mentioned that the refrigerator that we had bought was going to stick out about 5 or 6 inches from the cabinet.  And that is where I put everything on pause.

What?  The refrigerator was supposed to be counter-depth.  The Hubster looked confused.  I swear sometimes he blocks out time in his mind.  He didn't remember anything about a counter-depth refrigerator.  In fact he doesn't even remember talking about buying a refrigerator.  I assure you, the appliance man and I had a long conversation about the importance of a counter-depth refrigerator.

I immediately say, "well, it is still in the box.  It is going back!" and then the Hubster looks at me like I've lost my mind.  He says, "Who cares if it sticks out?"

I'll tell you who cares-- I do.  And for that matter, the cabinet maker did too...

I text the contractor as soon as we get home who immediatley calls me.  He says he'll get it fixed in the morning.  The Hubster went outside to smoke a cigeratte and talk to the dog, something he does a lot since we started building this house.

I'm not sure he still gets it.  He kept saying, "but a counter-depth one is much smaller than what we've got?  Don't you want more space?" 

In a perfect world, more space would be ideal.  But this is not a perfect world.  Kitchens do need to function, but they also need to look good.  I guess because I wear my 3 and 1/2+ heels every single day of my life, I learned that lesson long ago... function and style do not always speak the same language.  Sometimes you've got to give up on one for the other.... and style always-- always wins out.

No comments:

Post a Comment