Thursday, January 3, 2013

Holiday Wrap-Up...

Did you survive the holidays?  I'm pleased to say that Husband, Baby and myself did, indeed, survive and to some degree actually thrived.  
 
 
Merry! Merry!  Christmas Morning with Santa's toys

Yes, it was hard to drag ourselves to all the different holiday functions, but spending time with loved ones is never a bad time... trying to figure out the baby logistics on the other hand can be a bit frustrating.

Christmas morning was spent in our home.  This year we had breakfast at our house.  My parents came with my father's prized electric griddle and between us four, we prepared breakfast, learned to use a camcorder and entertained the baby.  Husband's parents and brother came to eat along with Husband's uncle and three of his boys.  I think it is the beginning of a nice family tradition.

Mid-flip... 


New Year's was less of a festive celebration.  For the first time since I was little, I slept through the new year... I remember poor Husband waking me up as the ball was about to drop.  I quickly shut my eyes and went back to sleep.  Quite the role reversal as I'm the one normally waking him up.

These days I have no trouble sleeping.  Used to, if I stayed at home all day-- just hanging out at the house I'd have trouble sleeping at night because I just hadn't done enough or I slept too late.  Now as soon as Little One goes down, I curl up on the couch and that's all she wrote folks.  I'm down for the count. 

Little One is sleeping through the night and has been since she was 5 weeks old... I on the other hand am not as I get up sometime between 3 and 4 to pump... which can take sometime and then I sometimes find it hard to go back to sleep.  I'm punishing myself just so I can stock-pile milk, but it gives me some piece of mind knowing that in a few days I'll be back at work.

That's the big question now... "when do you go back to work?" or "are you going back to work?" and when I reply that I soon go back to work I get the look of pity.  Apparently it is  going to be tough... and I can honestly say I will miss being at home with my baby, but a large part of me needs to be at work.  Monetary benefits aside, I need to have something to distract me and put a little more structure in my day.  Will I be sad to leave my sweet girl?  Yes.  But the reality of it all is that work is something I have to do-- for me and for her.  Her practical daddy doesn't understand the need for pretty hair bows and shiny baby loafers... and if I work, those whimsical items will be her reality.

So that is how I'm rationalizing going back to work.  I work for her... so I can contribute and set a good example.  So we can continue to live in the lifestyle that I have became accustomed to and so she can get accustomed to too.

So to summerize...  We thrived this holiday season.  Started a new tradition.  We are loving experiencing things through the Baby's eyes.  The baby is sleeping through the night and if I wasn't a masochist, I'd be sleeping too.  Work is looming, sooner than later but if we want pretty bows and fancy shoes, Momma's got to work!

I hope your Holiday was good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment